Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

What's for Sunday Dinner ... Dairy free Clam Chowder


Ok, I know its starting to get warm outside in some areas of the country but for the Northwest, it's still chilly so for Sunday dinner I made my most loved recipe. Dairy free Clam Chowder. My grandmother used to go clam digging and make the best Clam Chowder according to my Dad. I played with one recipe I had to make this wonderful Clam Chowder that even die hard Dairy lovers really enjoy. My Dairy eating kids and Husband even love this recipe. I make mine with coconut milk because two of my four children have thyroid issues and cannot have much soy milk.
I serve this with a salad and a hearty wheat roll.

4 Slices of bacon (turkey or pork works)cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 Tbsp Earth balance or other Dairy free butter
4 cups diced potatoes
1 can (14 Oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 (7 oz) cans of minced clams
5 tbsp corn starch
3 cups coconut milk or if you prefer soy milk (reserve 1/4 cup)
1 Tbsp chicken seasoning rub or for a bit of a kick use a steak rub
Parsley to garnish

Saute bacon in a large pan until semi crispy, add the butter, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until vegetables are semi tender. Transfer bacon mixture to a soup pot. Add potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper and the liquid from one can of clams. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Turn the heat off. Use the 1/4 cup of milk and mix the cornstarch into it. Add the cornstarch mixture, rest of milk, clams and their liquid. Turn heat back on to low. Let it thicken some, about 3 minutes then add the seasoning.
Tip: If you like yours thicker add more cornstarch one tsp at a time.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment