Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Caramel Dream

I had a dream, a fabulous dream, to make a dairy free caramel sauce to drizzle on my Caramel apple crisp and my vanilla coconut ice cream. So on my first available day I took on this task on and it turned out to be fruitful. At first I was a little skeptical, how can I make caramel sauce without Heavy cream? Then I looked in my fridge and found some left over Soy Creamer that I use in my coffee and to my joyful surprise (with many squeals of joy!) this wonderful experiment came out perfect.

So here is my recipe, Enjoy!

1- 1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water
1- 1/4 cup of Soy creamer (unflavored)
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium sauce pan over low heat, disolve sugar and water without sitring for 6-10 minutes. Turn heat up then to medium and boil uncovered for another 6-10 minutes, this is when the sugar and water combination will turn a lovely caramel color (this is 350 degreees on the candy themometer). Stir occasionally but becareful that it does not burn as this can burn easily. Turn the heat off and mix the creamer and vanilla together. Then slowly add the creamer mixture to the sugar and water. This will boil violently so becareful not to get splattered with the boiling concoction!
Turn heat back on to low and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Then remove from heat and let sit for an hour, then put into a dish to cool further in the fridge. It will thicken as it cools. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment